Sourdough Bagel Recipe
makes 12-18 bagels
2 cups starter
1 1/4 cups warm filtered water
1 Tbsp. oil
5 1/2 - 6 cups bread flour (if you want you can do 1/2 whole wheat/half bread flour)
1 Tbsp. salt
Any add-ins or toppings
1 egg for glazing the tops and to help the toppings stick
1 Tbsp. baking soda for the boiling water
Topping & add- in options:
-Everything seasoning, I purchased mine at Trader Joes
-Cinnamon sugar with brown sugar
-Cheese and jalapeños
1. Mix 2 cups of starter, 1 1/4 cups warm water, 1 tbsp. oil, 5 1/2 cups bread flour, & 1 Tbsp. salt. You can make a levain the night for more depth of flavor.
2. Knead dough: by hand- 10 minutes or with dough hook- 4 minutes. Bagel dough should be firm
3. Transfer to a greased bowl & let it rise for 4 hours, doing 3 sets of stretch & folds in the first 2 hours.
4. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten out and cut dough into 12-18 pieces about 5oz. each.
5. Shape each piece into a ball and stick your finger in the center creating a bagel shape. Make the hole in the center bigger than you think because the bagels will proof and it can close up. Place on parchment paper and cover with suran wrap, I didn't want my suran wrap to stick to the bagels so I used cups to stick in between a few of the bagel and placed the suran wrap over that so it rested on the edge of the cups. Let it sit for 1 hour in warm environment.
6. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Prepare a pot of boiling water and add 1 Tbsp. of baking soda. Add in a couple bagels at a time, let it boil 30 seconds for each side, 1 minute total for each bagel. Remove bagel with a slotted spoon and place on parchment paper. Prepare an egg wash for the bagels, whisk one egg with a pinch of salt and after bagels are mostly dry on the top, glaze each top with your egg wash and your topping of choice.
7. Bake your bagels for 14-15 minutes, keeping an eye on them and rotating pan if needed to get an even bake. Remove and place on cooling rack.